Select Page

When you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, it can be a difficult experience to even understand. Can you really lose so much in a split second on the road?

New Hampshire law provides avenues that might help you recover damages to help put you back on track.

Here are some answers to questions that are often asked by people facing these issues.

When do I have to decide what legal path I want to take?

In New Hampshire, accidents causing over $1,000 in property damage and/or an injury or death must be reported within 15 days of the accident.

With respect to a lawsuit, you have 3 years to file from the day of the accident.

Lawsuits sometimes go nowhere only because of a missed filing deadline, so these deadlines do creep up quickly. Attorneys keep a close eye on such deadlines and contacting counsel early helps keep the paperwork in order.

Can I sue for damages?

Yes, if you were less than 50 percent at fault for the accident.

New Hampshire follows a comparative fault rule, which reduces the damages according to your share of the fault. If you’re 10 percent at fault, you recover all your damages minus 10 percent.

The damages, if any, that you will recover will be based on the damages you suffered, but in New Hampshire there are no legal caps limiting the potential amount recoverable.

What kind of damages can I recover?

New Hampshire permits you to seek recovery for most common kinds of damages. These include:

  • Property damage to your vehicle and anything else of yours damaged because of the accident.
  • Medical expenses incurred because of the accident.
  • Physical and emotional pain and suffering as a result of the accident.
  • Lost wages and income as a result of the accident. If you can prove that the accident has decreased your future earning power, you might recover loss of future income as well.

New Hampshire doesn’t permit you to receive punitive damages under most circumstances.